Saturday, January 12, 2019

The Lord Is My Shepherd


Psalms 23:2 - 3 “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. (3) He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.”

The Psalmist begins with “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” Verse 1 The word “Shepherd” carries a lot of thought, and to us who are believers in Jesus Christ it carries many thoughts. It means that Jesus is the Supreme caretaker of the flock, He loves us with every inch of His being and is the Sovereign Supreme supplier of our ever need. In this world it is easy to forget who controls the entire universe. It is easy to, in our most troublesome time to forget that Jesus cares for us and He will never forsake us or leave us to ourselves, A Great Shepperd never leaves His sheep, ever! Jesus loved us when the Father chose us before the foundation of the world. We were the greatest gift the Father ever gave to Him, and He is the greatest gift the Father ever gave to us.  W.E. Vine says this name “Shepperd” goes much farther than a leader, Vine says it also means “the supreme protector and leader of the nation” that is God’s Chosen Nation Spiritual Israel or Gods elect. He is our protector and supplies our ever need. It is easy to get caught-up in the worlds thinking and thinking that we must worry and concern ourselves with worldly happenings, even happenings in our own life, but remember who the Great Sheppard is and that He will supply our every need. David wrote “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.” V. 2 We do not make it ourselves, God did not leave it up to us to figure it all out. He leads us to the green pastures He has prepared for us. If we believe in the predestination of God, then everything in our life is pre-ordained. Paul wrote proof of this in Ephesians 1:11 “In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:” God works ALL THINGS after the counsel of His own will, that’s how He MAKES us lie down in green pastures. Even in heaven He has a place prepared for us. “… I go to prepare a place for you.” John 14:2 Sometimes we may forget these things, but remember God promised us these things, He has your life and will never let you go it alone. “… I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.” Hebrews 13:5 David also promised in verse 3 “He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.” The word “restoreth” means - to turn back – He turns me back from sinfulness and causes me to be righteous in His eyes. See the word “Shepperd” in verse 1 also carries the thought of “a mediator between God and man” according to W.E. Vine. It is His being a Mediator that restores us, a bridge between a Righteous God and sinful people. It is He that leads us to the paths of righteousness, something we cannot do ourselves. God said it best in Isaiah 42:16 “And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.” David finished with these words, “for his name's sake” Everything God does is for His glory, we are simply the benefactors of His glory. Praise God!!!