Saturday, May 5, 2018

Peters Denial

John 13:38 “Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.”


Please understand one thing, Peter loved Jesus so much he was willing and did die for him. I have read and heard so much about this denial of Jesus Christ by Peter. Folks, it was an innocent denial, Peter never rejected Jesus Christ, he never denied his Saviour, Peter simply denied being one of Jesus’s disciples. Peter was human, and his human instance took over and the flesh caused him to lie that he knew and was a disciple of Jesus. Jesus knew this because He is God and He knows everything. Please understand denying Jesus Christ is denying who He is, as Saviour, God, and that His blood can cleanse you from your sins. People do not need to explain away what had happened as though Peter had committed the ultimate sin of unbelief. I even heard one preacher say this denial came before he was saved, wrong! Peter was a chosen vessel of God to be a close friend and apostle of His Beloved Son Jesus the Christ. Peter wrote two books of the bible and gave his life for Jesus Christ. 

What this event shows us is that Peter was not perfect, just as we are not perfect. We are all flesh and fleshly things we will do sometimes. The Lord Jesus told Peter he would have this weakness at that time and so he did just as the Lord promised. I believe sometimes believers think of themselves more than they should. The Lord said through the Apostle Paul in Romans 12:3 “For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.” The Apostle Paul said that “grace given unto me” which is something we need every moment of every day. The only time we can stand faithful is as long as God keeps giving us grace. I believe the Lord allowed Peter less grace and he had a weak moment. Think about it, If God so chose we would never sin again, but then we would forget the grace. God warned us “not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think” because without God holding us up we would fall immediately, even the strongest believers among us are nothing without God’s grace. Sometimes the Lord allows us to fall a little, to weaken a little just to remind us that we are living, moving, and having a godly life by his grace. Believe me, if Peter can fall to the flesh and deny being the Lords disciple, then who are we? Remember even the Apostle Paul said, “But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.” 1 Corinthians 15:10” What Paul had just told us is that “I know that God’s grace has made me what I am, and I can say God’s grace was not in vain because I labored more than any other, but it was still the grace of God and not me”. Paul knew God’s grace held him up, and Peter saw first hand what it was like to have a weak moment. Folks, we are what God has made us, even though it is a labor and some labor more than others, it is still only by God’s grace that we stand. Peter never denied Jesus and who He is, Peter denied being his disciple in weakness. God test us in many ways to teach us that “For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. (8) For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. Romans 14:7 – 8 We live in the Lord and not in ourselves. Don’t put so much faith in yourself because the Lord may allow you to fall a little to make you understand His grace.