Saturday, November 30, 2019

I am “God Made”


For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.” Romans 12:3
I see people as competitors, wanting to be the best, strongest, smartest, best looking, etc. etc. etc. I see people racing down the road to get in front of someone else, racing to merge in front of you instead of behind you, I think you get the image I am painting. Few people in this world are humbled in nature. As Christians we need to slow down, we need to feast on the grace and blessings of God, and to do that, we need to see ourselves in the proper prospective. God described us this was, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” Romans 3:23 We never find God bragging on people, unless He is speaking about something He gave them the ability to accomplish. God went on to say, “Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:” Romans 3:24 As people we are so weak we cannot even believe on the Lord Jesus Christ on our own, we need God’s power and faith to do that. “So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.” Romans 8:8 “When we see ourselves in the saved state we are always better Christians if we look back to see what God has done in our life, and understanding as Paul did, “But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.” 1 Corinthians 15:10 - 11 Paul admits that what he was in his Christian life was a gift of God, “…but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me…” Paul spoke of two things in our text scripture, but we must limit out thoughts:  

     1. not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think” - Why not, why shouldn’t we think highly of ourselves if we have accomplished much? Because in this flesh whether lost or saved we can only accomplish what God’s grace has given us the ability to do. Notice here that Paul is not talking about our lost state but rather our saved state, “For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you…” God also told us, “For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.” 2 Corinthians 1:12 If a man such as The apostle Paul had no reason to glory in his accomplishments, then why would we? Look at this, “Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.” Jeremiah 9:23 – 24
  
2.           2.   “…according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.” The word “faith” here means – a persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God – So it is an action word, not only of believing in Christ but also believing and exercising God’s truths. As Christians and as Pastors we are all made like Paul, we are what we are by God’s grace. No matter how great of a church member or how great of a preacher/pastor you are, you are not self-made. The word “measure” means – a limited portion – therefore whatever you are, as great as you may be, please realize as Paul did when he wrote, “But by the grace of God I am what I am…” As Ministers and Christians in the churches we are not measured on our greatness, no, not at all, we are measured on the truth we preach. “Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.” 1 Timothy 5:17
Please allow me to conclude with this thought. Christians are only as great as God hath blessed them, even if we labor more abundantly, we are still God blessed only. “but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me…”  When listening to preachers, listen to their words, do not judge them on their preaching abilities or their styles of preaching. We are here to worship the Lord and we celebrate in the Truth of His word, not in the man delivering the sermon. It is not wrong to celebrate the good of the speaker and to honor him for preaching the truth, but please always remember he is what he is only by God’s grace. Humility is the greatest asset to the preacher, never thinking of yourself as great or not so great, I have known many great preachers that are humble and that makes them beautiful in their ministry. I have also known preachers who do not have great skill or styles as speakers who are just as great in word.  We are all only as good as the “measure of faith” God has given to us.